Friday, February 17, 2012

Red Velvet Rice Krispie Treats


I'm not a traditional sap when it comes to Valentine's Day. I'm not a red rose kind-of-gal, I don't understand adults receiving stuffed animals as gifts, and I can never seem to get past the first bite in a box of chocolates. Please don't think I'm a Valentine's Scrooge. I'm not...I promise. Hey, I was beyond giddy last year, when Ryan surprised me with a five-course meal at a French restaurant. At the same time, I'm not a gal that's incredibly disappointed just relaxing at home on Valentine's Day (screw the pressure to have some big extravagant plans). But I still like to do something small for my man: a homemade card, something chocolaty, just a little something to make him feel extra special. 

Unfortunately this year, some little microbes decided to invade my body on cupid's day and foil my plans. I was sick as a dog all day long. I had planned to make some "oh so romantic" rice krispie treats (Ryan's favorite) for my Valentine, but that didn't happen. Instead he came home to me, curled up in a ball on the couch, in a very pathetic state.


The next day, looking like the walking dead, but feeling much better, I was determined to make at least one batch. Ryan loves rice krispie treats. And by love, I mean, he would eat his weight in rice krispies. If it came down to me, or a lifetime supply of rice krispie treats, he would hesitate. 

As delicious as they are on their own, I wanted to avoid the traditional recipe for rice krispie treats and try something new. I narrowed it down to Red Velvet Rice Krispie Treats and Bourbon Caramel Rice Krispie Treats with Dark Chocolate. Red Velvet being the easier recipe, and I being in the aforementioned   weakened state, the red-tinted treats were up first. I will be trying the Bourbon Krispies soon enough. Dessert with booze...yes, please!


It all starts with some melted butter. 
Into the pot goes marshmallows, vanilla, and red velvet cake mix.

The red velvet cake mix creates a beautiful color. Love it!

Cocoa Krispies join the party and the incredibly sticky mess begins. 

Once cooled, cut those bad boys up. 
I tried a heart shape, but ended up sticking with squares.

Now for the melted white chocolate drizzle. Create a double boiler. 
Place a glass bowl on top of a pot of boiling water.

Add the chips.

They melt, you drizzle. The treats are complete!


Red Velvet Rice Krispie Treats

Adapted from Pass the Sushi

Ingredients
  • 3 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 (10.5 oz.) bag mini marshmallows
  • 1/2 cup red velvet cake mix
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 6 cups Cocoa Rice Krispies cereal
  • 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
  • 2 drops red food coloring (optional, just gives red an extra color boost)

Directions
Prepare a 9x13 inch glass pan by spraying with cooking spray or lining with parchment paper, then set aside.

In a large pot, melt butter over low heat. Add the marshmallows, cake mix, and vanilla. Stir frequently, until the marshmallows have completely melted. Add the cocoa krispies; stir until incorporated.

It won't be easy, but transfer the cocoa krispie mixture into the coated 9x13 pan. It's going to be very sticky. To press the treats down evenly into the pan, spray a spatula with cooking spray then pat down until flat and even. Allow to cool.

To melt the white chocolate, create a double boiler by balancing a glass bowl on top of a pot of boiling water. Add the chocolate chips to the bowl, stirring frequently as they melt. Pour melted chocolate into a ziplock bag. Squeeze chocolate to one corner and cut of the tip the bag. Drizzle onto rice krispie squares.



Hope you all had a better Valentine's Day than I did!
Anyone do anything special?


Pin It


Linking up with Kojo Designs, Happy Go Lucky, and Be Different Act Normal. There's lots of inspiration over there. Go check 'em out!

10 comments:

  1. Those look so fun and sound delicious!! Sorry you were sick for Valentine's day...no fun! Thanks for sharing at Shine On Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right... he like Rice Krispie Treats a little TOO much!! Having said that... I already asked Mom to make me some when she gets here! Haha... must run in the family! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It MUST be something in the genes. I'm sure Finnan will love them too.

      Delete
  3. Hi Ashley!

    Thank you so much for participating in the blog hop. Wishing you all the best in your bloggy endeavors. Cheers!

    Kelly
    www.livelaughrowe.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. SHUT UP! You have combined my two loves.

    I'm stopping by via the blog hop. Nice to meet you! I'm a new follower.

    Lots of love,
    Lindsey
    outofalabaster.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I consider myself a decent cook, but for some reason rice krispy treats never turn out well for me. And banana bread. My two arch-nemeses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too funny. People think that rice krispy treats are easy, but they can be tricky. I have a minor anxiety attack every time I have to transfer from the pot to the parchment paper...it's a hot sticky mess!

      Delete
  6. Hi! These look delicious! Any reason for the cocoa Rice Krispies? I'm thinking I'd use the regular ones. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the cocoa krispies just gives it more of that chocolate flavor that Red Velvet cake is supposed to have. But I think that regular Rice Krispies would taste just fine. You'll probably end up with a much brighter red.

      Delete

Let me know what you think. I'd love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...